How to make
- 1 cup (250 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Extra virgin olive oil
- 2Large onions, chopped
- 6Sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 1 cup (250 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Green Lentils
- 1 pkg (900 mL)Low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mL)Packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1Bunch green onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)Red wine vinegar
- 2Cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 can (540 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Chickpeas
How to make
- Step 1Place barley in large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2-inches (5 cm); bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; boil gently, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl.
- Step 2Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Add onions, thyme and half of the salt; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are very soft. Add lentils; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender and broth is absorbed. Transfer to bowl along with barley; let cool slightly.
- Step 3Combine parsley, green onions, vinegar, garlic, remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil and remaining salt in bowl of food processor. Pulse until finely chopped; add to bowl with barley and lentils. Add chickpeas, tossing to combine.