How to make
- 1-3/4 cups (438 mL)PC® Black Label Farina “00” Unbleached Flour for Pizza or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp (5 mL)salt
- 2/3 cup (167 mL)warm water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp (5 mL)quick-rising instant dry yeast
- Equipment: PC® Propane-Powered Pizza Oven
- pizza peel
How to make
- Step 1Stir flour with salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Step 2Stir together warm water, oil and yeast in separate large bowl. Add flour mixture; stir just until ragged dough forms.
- Step 3Turn out onto work surface and knead about 15 times, until soft but not sticky dough ball forms. Add flour sparingly if needed to prevent sticking.
- Step 4Wipe out one of the bowls; brush bowl generously with oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat in oil. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until puffed and doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Step 5To bake pizza: Preheat pizza oven on high heat, 15 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low. Dust pizza peel generously with flour; set aside.
- Step 6Divide dough in half; gently stretch one half from underneath using hands (or roll using rolling pin) into 9- to 10-inch (23 to 25 cm) round, leaving thicker 1-inch (2.5 cm) border for crust. (Let dough rest 1 minute if it’s not stretching easily.) Transfer to prepared pizza peel. Gently shuffle peel from side to side to ensure dough slides easily on peel; if it sticks, carefully remove dough and dust peel with more flour. Add desired toppings.
- Step 7Slide pizza off the peel and onto the stone in pizza oven. Bake, using peel to rotate pizza every 15-30 seconds, until crust is evenly golden and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven by sliding onto peel. Transfer to cutting board.
- Step 8Stretch or roll out remaining half of dough and top as desired. Bake as directed in step 7. Serve immediately.
- Tips for making the best pizza in your PC® Propane-Powered Pizza Oven1. Preheat: Always preheat your oven for 15 minutes on high. Then turn down to medium when ready to cook your pizza. 2. Flour: Be sure to flour your PC Pizza Peel generously before stretching out the dough on it. This will help your pizza slide off easily into the oven. 3. Rotate: Once your pizza is in the oven, rotate it every 15 to 30 seconds using the peel to ensure it cooks evenly.
- No pizza oven? Bake on flour-dusted pizza pan, pizza stone or baking sheet on bottom rack of 450ºF (230ºC) oven until crust is golden and toppings are bubbly, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Sweet Calabrian Heat Pizza: Prepare dough through step 6, then spread PC® Caramelized Onion Topping evenly over crust. Top with Calabrese salami and crumbled PC® Honey & Hot Pepper Soft Unripened Goat’s Milk Cheese. Bake according to recipe. Repeat with remaining half of dough. Sprinkle with roughly chopped baby arugula before serving.