How to make
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) Olive oil
- Half Large white onion, thinly sliced
- Half Large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- Half Large sweet green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)PC®Black Label Peperoncini Piccanti Hot Red Chili Peppers in Oil
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) PC®Black Label Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)Plain dry breadcrumbs
- 6 cups (1.5 L)Canola oil
- 8 oz (250 g)Veal scallopini cutlets, trimmed and pounded thin
- 12Mini Ciabatta Burger Buns
- 6 tbsp (90 mL)Olive oil
- 8 oz (250 g) Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
How to make
- Step 1In large nonstick frying pan, heat 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) olive oil over medium-high heat; cook onions, red peppers and green peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is tender and caramelized. Add peperoncini and marinara sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- Step 2Meanwhile, in shallow bowl, stir together flour, salt, paprika, pepper and cayenne pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk together eggs with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Place breadcrumbs in third shallow bowl.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour canola oil into large Dutch oven or any large heavy-bottomed pot with high sides; heat over medium heat until deep fry thermometer registers 350˚F (180˚C).
- Step 4Dredge one veal scallopini cutlet in flour then dip into egg, letting excess drip off. Coat evenly in breadcrumbs. Transfer to a platter; repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Step 5Open ciabatta buns and place on prepared baking sheet with cut surfaces facing up. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) olive oil over each bun. Bake in centre of oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, fry breaded scallopini in Dutch oven for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to platter lined with paper towels; pat with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Step 6Once cool enough to handle, cut scallopini cutlets into smaller portions to fit on ciabatta buns. Place a portion of scallopini on bottom half of each of ciabatta bun. Sprinkle scallopini evenly with cheese. Return to centre of oven; bake for another 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and buns are lightly toasted. Top each with onion-pepper mixture. Place ciabatta tops back on; secure each with a skewer or long toothpick.