How to make
- 1 pkg (340 g)PC®Black Label Barley Blend
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL)Finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Finely diced onions
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Finely diced kielbasa sausage
- 2 tsp (10 mL)Chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Hot pepper flakes
- 1 carton (900 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 1 cup (250 mL)Chopped Swiss chard leaves
How to make
- Step 1In a large pot, bring 12 cups (3 L) water to a boil over high heat. Stir in barley. Return to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender but firm. It will still be chewy. Drain well. Rinse well under cold water; drain. Place 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) cooked barley blend in small bowl; set aside. Refrigerate remaining barley in airtight container for another use.
- Step 2Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook carrots, celery, onions and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kielbasa, thyme and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cooked barley blend and Swiss chard; cook for 5 minutes. Just before serving, drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon juice, if desired.