How to make
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL)All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 1 cup (250 mL)PC® Unsalted Country Churned Butter frozen
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Ice water (approx)
- 4 slicesPC® Smoky Bonfire Double-Smoked Bacon
- 2Large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL)Packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL)PC® 100% Pure Maple Syrup Canada Grade A Amber
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)PC® Unsalted Country Churned Butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Salt
How to make
- Step 1Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Grate frozen butter on large holes of box grater into flour mixture. Gently lift and toss mixture with fingers to coat butter. Make well in centre; pour in ice water. Stir with fork just until pastry comes together when gently pressed. If necessary, add more ice water, 1 tsp at a time. Gently knead to form ball; divide in half. Shape into discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Step 2Mist wells of two 12-count muffin tins with cooking spray; set aside. Working 1 disc at a time, roll out pastry on lightly floured work surface to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness, dusting with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Using 4-1/2-inch (11 cm) round cutter, cut out 16 to 18 rounds total. Fit rounds into wells of prepared muffin tins to make pastry shells. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 4Filling: Place bacon in cold skillet. Cook over medium heat, turning often, until golden and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Step 5Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, vinegar and salt in separate large bowl; set aside. Finely chop bacon; sprinkle two-thirds of the bacon into pastry shells, dividing evenly. Pour egg mixture into pastry shells, dividing evenly.
- Step 6Bake until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in pans on rack 15 minutes. Run thin knife around edges to release tarts. Carefully lift out of pans. Sprinkle with remaining bacon, dividing evenly.