How to make
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)PC® New World EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1Onion, finely chopped
- 2Cloves garlic, minced
- 9 cups (2 L)PC® Organics Chopped Kale - Frozen
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch (0.5 mL)Nutmeg
- 2Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)PC® Black Label Panko Japanese-Style Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)PC® Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)PC® Unsalted Country Churned Butter
- 7PC® Phyllo Pastry, sheets frozen
How to make
- Step 1Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high. Add frozen kale; cook, stirring often, until thawed and softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Transfer to large bowl; let cool completely.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Add eggs, whipping cream, panko, pine nuts and feta to kale mixture; stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Step 3Brush bottom and side of 9-inch (23 cm) wide, 1-inch (2.5 cm) deep fluted tart pan with removable bottom with some of the butter. Brush 1 phyllo sheet lightly with some of the butter; drape horizontally (with long side closest to you) over centre of pan, gently fitting into pan and letting edges hang over side. Keep remaining phyllo covered with tea towel to prevent drying out.
- Step 4Brush another phyllo sheet lightly with some of the butter; place vertically (with short side closest to you) over centre of pan to make “t” shape with other sheet, gently pressing into pan and letting edges hang over side. Repeat with remaining phyllo and some of the remaining butter, alternating between arranging sheets horizontally and vertically.
- Step 5Spoon kale mixture into centre of phyllo, spreading evenly in bottom of pan. Working with 1 layer at a time, lift edges of phyllo over filling into centre of pie, brushing with butter to adhere. Brush top with remaining butter.
- Step 6Bake until top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cover with foil; bake until tip of knife inserted in centre of filling for 30 seconds comes out hot, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove from pan; cut into wedges.