How to make
- 1Head garlic
- 3 tbsp (45 ml)Olive oil
- 1 (2 lb/900 g)Small butternut squash
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL)Salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)All-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1000 mL)Homogenized milk
- 2 cups (500 mL)Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 8 sheetsPC Black Label Lasagne Egg Pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL)Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
How to make
- Step 1Arrange oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Step 2Trim top of garlic head to expose cloves. Arrange, cut side up, in centre of 10-inch (25 cm) square of foil; drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Fold foil over and seal edges to make packet. Place on baking sheet. Bake in top third of oven until tender and golden, about 1 hour. Unwrap; let cool 15 minutes. Squeeze cloves into small bowl. Set aside.
- Step 3Meanwhile, peel and trim squash; cut crosswise to separate long neck from round bottom. Slice neck crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick rounds; set aside. Halve bottom of squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Slice crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick half-moons. Toss together squash, 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper and remaining 2 tbsp oil in large bowl. Arrange in single layer on parchment paper-lined large baking sheet. Bake in bottom third of oven, flipping squash once, until tender and light golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Step 4Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Step 5Stir in garlic, frozen spinach, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Step 6Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish. Arrange 2 noodles with long sides facing you in single layer over top. Spread 1 cup sauce over top. Arrange half of squash in single layer over top. Arrange 2 noodles with short sides facing you in single layer over top. Repeat layers with 1 cup sauce and remaining half of squash. Arrange 2 noodles with long sides facing you in single layer over top; spread 1 cup sauce over top. Arrange remaining 2 noodles with short sides facing you in single layer over top. Spread remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Step 7Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Cover lasagna with greased foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until golden and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.