How to make
- 1 cup (250 mL)Granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL)Whole milk
- 1 cup (250 mL)35% whipping cream
- 3Cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Whole cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)PC®70% Cocoa Solids Dark Chocolate
- 3Egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Salt
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Step 2Stir together 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar and 1/4 cup (50 mL) water in small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, about 3 to 4 minutes. Once in a clear, boiling liquid state, uncover and continue to boil for 4 to 5 minutes without stirring or until medium caramel colour. Remove from heat. Immediately pour into 8-inch (1.2 L) round metal cake pan. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3Pour milk and cream into medium saucepan; add cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate but do not stir. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar and the salt in bowl until smooth but not airy; set aside.
- Step 4Whisk the hot cream and chocolate together until smooth. Slowly pour into egg mixture, whisking gently to avoid creating bubbles. Pour through fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl; discard spices. Pour into caramel lined pan. Place pan in 13 X 9 inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan. Pour hot water into large pan to come halfway up side of small pan.
- Step 5Bake in centre of oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until custard is set with a gentle wobble at the centre. Remove from oven. Cool in pan with water. Remove from water bath. Chill for 12 to 48 hours.
- Step 6Run small sharp knife around edge to loosen. Place serving platter over top and quickly but carefully invert flan onto platter. Serve immediately.