How to make
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Grated lemon rind
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL)Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)PC®Black Label Pure Almond Extract
- 1 cup (250 mL)Ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL)Fresh lemon juice
- 1 pkg (450 g)PC®Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
- 2/3 cup (150 mL)PC®Black Label Ontario Peach Fruit Spread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Sliced almonds
How to make
- Step 1Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Step 2In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or using electric hand beaters, make frangipane by beating butter, 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar, lemon rind and salt on medium speed for 1 minute or until creamy. Scrape bottom of bowl with spatula. Add one of the eggs and the almond extract; beat until combined. Beat in ground almonds. Scrape into small bowl.
- Step 3Wipe out bowl of stand mixer. Make cream cheese filling by beating cream cheese, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar and lemon juice until combined. Scrape into another small bowl.
- Step 4In another small bowl, make egg wash by whisking remaining egg with 2 tsp (10 mL) water.
- Step 5On lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry to a 12 x 10 inch (30 x 25 cm) rectangle. Cut each sheet in half lengthwise to form a total of four 12 x 5 inch (30 x 13 cm) rectangles. Using a spatula, carefully transfer two of the rectangles to one of the prepared baking sheets; repeat with the remaining two rectangles on the other baking sheet. Refrigerate one of the baking sheets for 20 minutes.
- Step 6Meanwhile, brush a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border of egg wash around the perimeter of both unrefrigerated pastry rectangles; reserve remaining egg wash. In the centre of each pastry rectangle, spread frangipane, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border around perimeter. Dollop each with cream cheese filling and spoon peach fruit spread evenly over top, gently pushing down on cream cheese layer.
- Step 7Remove remaining two pastry sheets from refrigerator; lightly dust each with flour. Fold each in half lengthwise. Using kitchen shears, cut 1½ -inch (4 cm) long diagonal slashes along folded seam of pastry, making slices 3/4 -inches (2 cm) apart. Be sure to leave a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border across other three edges. Do not unfold pastry.
- Step 8Using your hands or a spatula, carefully position one piece of folded pastry over one filled pastry, placing slashed edge along centre line. Unfold and line up edges around perimeter of pastry. Press edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry for a total of two jalousies. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position oven rack to lower third of oven.
- Step 9Once chilled, trim edges of jalousies with a sharp paring knife. Brush tops with reserved egg wash. Sprinkle pastry edges with almonds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating once halfway, or until deep golden on top and bottom. Set aside to cool on baking sheet on wire rack. Just before serving, dust with icing sugar. Cut each jalousie into 6 slices. Serve warm or at room temperature.