How to make
- 10 Dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) PC®100% Pure First-Pressed Canola Oil
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Bone-in skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 4Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2Carrots, cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 1Large onion, cut in eighths
- 1Potato, peeled and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 4Green onions, chopped
How to make
- Step 1Place mushrooms in small bowl; pour 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water over top. Cover; let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze liquid from mushrooms; reserve liquid. Cut off stems and discard; halve mushroom caps.
- Step 2Meanwhile, in large Dutch oven or saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches and using remaining oil for second batch, brown chicken all over, about 5 minutes per batch; transfer to plate.
- Step 3Add 3 tbsp (45 mL) water to saucepan if it darkens after cooking chicken. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, wine and reserved mushroom liquid. Nestle in chicken, carrots, onion, potato and mushrooms. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, turning chicken and vegetables occasionally, for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Just before serving, garnish with green onions.