How to make
- 1½ cups (375 mL)peeled and cubed winter squash, such as kabocha, butternut or acorn (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)olive oil, divided
- 1½ tsp (7 mL)salt, divided
- 1/2 pkg (3/4 cup)PC® Blue Menu 5-Grain Blend
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)PC® Tahini & Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)chopped fresh mint, divided
- 1/2 pkg (250 g)PC® Grilled Ready Veggie Eggplant
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)pomegranate arils (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)coarsely chopped PC® Honey Roasted Pistachios
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)crumbled feta cheese
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Spread squash over parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Bake, turning half-way, until tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, about 20 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, bring 4 cups (1 L) water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in grain blend and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook uncovered 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup (60 mL) vinaigrette and 1 tbsp (15 mL) mint until evenly coated.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Working in batches, arrange eggplant in single layer. Do not crowd. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, until heated through and lightly browned. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt.
- Step 4Arrange eggplant in a single layer across bottom of an oval or round serving platter. Spread marinated grains evenly over eggplant. Layer with squash, pomegranate arils (if using), pistachios and cheese. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) vinaigrette and garnish with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) mint. Serve immediately or chill, if desired.
- Try this: Add more depth of flavour to the grain base by stirring in 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and coriander. Add them in Step 2 at the same time as you stir in the vinaigrette.