How to make
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- 4sprigs fresh sage
- 4cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 mL)salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL)black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)whipping cream (35%)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Dijon mustard
- 1raw whole chicken (1.5 kg – 2 kg/3.3 lb – 4.4 lb)
- 6shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1 bag (680 g/1.5 lb)PC® Ruby Little Gems Red Mini Potatoes
- 3each carrots and parsnips, cut on diagonal into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven.
- Step 2Pick leaves from 2 each of the thyme and sage sprigs; finely chop leaves and place in small bowl. Mince 2 of the garlic cloves; add to bowl with chopped herbs. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt, and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the pepper. Set aside.
- Step 3Crush remaining 2 cloves of garlic; set aside. Whisk together cream, broth, and mustard in separate small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Step 4Sprinkle cavity of chicken with remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper; fill with remaining thyme and sage sprigs and the crushed garlic. Brush chicken all over with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the remaining oil.
- Step 5Heat remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in PC 3.5-Qt Enameled Cast Iron Braiser or 3-inch (7.5 cm) deep large heavy oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, breast side up, until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully transfer chicken to plate. Add shallots, cut sides down; cook, without stirring, until deep golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and parsnips; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Step 6Add cream mixture; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and push vegetables to edge of braiser; nestle in chicken, breast side up. Transfer to bottom third of oven and bake uncovered until chicken is beginning to brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven; brush chicken with herb-oil mixture. Return to oven and bake uncovered until vegetables are tender and instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken thigh reads 180°F (82°C), 30 to 40 minutes.
- Step 7Remove from oven. Let rest 10 minutes. Gently stir sauce to coat vegetables and mix in any juic-es from chicken.
- Try this: Use your braiser and the leftover chicken bones to make broth. Simply toss the chicken bones and herbs and garlic from the cavity back into the empty braiser (don’t bother washing the braiser – the browned bits add flavour). Add a roughly chopped onion and carrot and 8 cups (2 L) cold water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature, strain and skim off any fat or foam, and refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days, or freeze in convenient 1-cup (250 mL) portions up to 1 month.