How to make
- 2 cups (500 mL)all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL)baking powder
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 mL)PC® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp (5 mL)each baking soda and salt
- 1large egg
- 1 cup (250 mL)granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (188 mL)canned or fresh pumpkin pureé (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup (188 mL)plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (83 mL)butter, melted
- 2 tsp (10 mL)coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)spreadable cream cheese
- 4 tsp (20 mL)pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)PC® Pumpkin Pie Spice
How to make
- Step 1Muffins: Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Line 12-count muffin tin with paper liners.
- Step 2Whisk together flour, baking powder, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- Step 3Whisk together egg, 1 cup granulated sugar, pumpkin pureé, yogurt and melted butter in separate bowl until smooth. Add to flour mixture; stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until no white streaks remain. Do not overmix.
- Step 4Divide among wells of prepared muffin tin. Stir 2 tsp coarse sugar with remaining 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice in small bowl; sprinkle over muffins.
- Step 5Bake until tops are golden and crisp and toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to wire rack to cool.
- Step 6Spread: While muffins are cooling, stir together cream cheese, maple syrup and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice in separate bowl until smooth. Serve with muffins.
- Try this: These muffins are incredibly versatile – try using mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce in place of the pumpkin pureé, or sour cream instead of yogurt.