How to make
- 1 bottle (750 mL)rosé wine (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)whole green cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)simple syrup (see tip, below)
- 4 cups (1 L) PC® Pomegranate Lemonade, chilled
- fresh or frozen pomegranate arils (optional)
- fresh mint sprigs (optional)
How to make
- Step 1Pour wine into 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan or glass baking dish. Freeze until flaky, 5 to 6 hours. (If using non-alcoholic wine, stir with a fork once or twice throughout to prevent it from freezing until solid. The alcohol in traditional wine keeps it from completely freezing.)
- Step 2Meanwhile, crush cardamom on cutting board using bottom of small saucepan until slightly cracked; scrape into saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 3Add simple syrup to saucepan; bring to a simmer, cover and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until cooled to room temperature.
- Step 4Break up wine into chunks using fork or wooden spoon. Combine wine and lemonade in blender (see note below on working in batches). Strain cardamom syrup through fine-mesh strainer into blender. Blend until slushy. (Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to add half each of the wine, lemonade and syrup to the blender and blend in batches.)
- Step 5Divide among serving glasses. If using, garnish with pomegranate arils and mint.
- Try this: Look for simple syrup in the drinks section of the supermarket, or make it yourself. Bring 1 cup (250 mL) each granulated sugar and water to a boil in small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate until chilled. Use 1/2 cup (125 mL) for this recipe; refrigerate the rest in a sealed jar for up to 1 month.