How to make
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL)PC® Organics Red Lentils
- 2 tsp (10 mL)Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL)Diced onion
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL)Diced carrots
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)Salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL)Minced ginger root
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Mild yellow curry powder, preferably Madras
- 4 cups (1 L)Low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL)Fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Chopped fresh coriander
How to make
- Step 1Rinse and drain lentils; set aside.
- Step 2Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, carrots, salt and pepper for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until spices are very fragrant and onions are tender.
- Step 3Stir in lentils; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Pour in broth and 2 cups (500 mL) water, stirring to combine. Increase heat to medium-high; bring soup to a simmer then reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until lentils are very tender. Remove from heat.
- Step 4Blend using an immersion hand blender, or in batches using a standard blender, for 20 to 30 seconds or until soup is slightly creamy but still chunky. Stir in lime juice and coriander; serve garnished with additional coriander if desired.