How to make
- 2/3 cup (150 mL)Granulated sugar
- 1-1/3 cup (325 mL)2% milk
- 1 cup (250 mL)35% whipping cream
- 4Large egg yolks
- 3Large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL)PC®Black Label Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)Salt
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place eight 3/4-cup (175 mL) ramekins in roasting pan.
- Step 2Make Caramel: Combine sugar and 1/4 cup (50 mL) cold water in small heavy saucepan, stirring to dissolve. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Uncover; cook without stirring for 5 minutes or until syrup turns amber colour. Immediately remove from heat and pour evenly into ramekins, swirling to coat bottom. Let cool completely.
- Step 3Make Custard: Heat milk and cream in saucepan over medium heat until steaming and tiny bubbles appear along edge; remove from heat. Whisk together yolks, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of hot milk mixture until combined. Whisk in remaining milk. Strain though fine mesh sieve into large glass measuring cup. Using spoon, remove excess bubbles on surface.
- Step 4Pour custard mixture into ramekins, dividing evenly. Remove one ramekin to make space; pour in boiling water to come halfway up ramekins. Place ramekin back in pan. Cover pan loosely with foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until barely set with slight jiggle at centre. Transfer ramekins to rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.
- Step 5To serve, run sharp paring knife around edge of one custard pressing side of knife against ramekin. Hold serving plate tightly over ramekin and quickly invert, gently shaking ramekin to release custard. Repeat with remaining custards.