How to make
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut in 2 x 3-inch (5 x 7.5 cm) chunks
- 1 jar (200 g) PC Black Label Goose Fat
- 10 Cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Kosher salt
- 2Sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 Sprigs fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Ffreshly ground black pepper
How to make
- Step 1In large bowl of cold water, soak potatoes for 5 minutes, changing water three times to remove excess starch. Drain.
- Step 2Place potatoes in large saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat medium; cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are very soft with rough surfaces. Using slotted spoon, carefully transfer to large colander and arrange in a single layer to drain. Let stand in colander for 15 to 20 minutes to cool and dry slightly.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 4Spoon goose fat into 14 x 10-inch (35 x 25 cm) roasting pan. Heat in centre of oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven; carefully add potatoes and whole garlic cloves in single layer. Using spatula, turn to coat with goose fat. Roast in centre of oven for 20 minutes; turn to coat and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt. Return to oven; roast for 40 minutes, turning every 20 minutes. Nestle herbs in among potatoes; continue to roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crusty in places. Discard herbs. Using slotted spoon, transfer potatoes and garlic to serving dish. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.