How to make
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) + 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, divided, plus additional melted butter for brushing baking dish
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL)finely chopped celery (leaves and stalks) and/or kale or Swiss chard stems (wilted celery or stems are fine to use here)
- 2 tsp (10 mL)PC® Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)each salt and black pepper
- 8 cups (2 L)chopped or torn stale bread, rolls, bagels and/or crusty baguette (1/2-inch/1 cm cubes)
- 1 cup (250 mL) to 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) PC® Chicken Bone Broth (approx)
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Brush 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish, 9-cup (2.25 L) casserole dish or 9 x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan with melted butter.
- Step 2Melt 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery or stems; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Step 3Stir in bread to coat; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) broth (add another 1/2 cup/125 mL broth if your bread is extra-dry or you prefer a moister stuffing).
- Step 4Transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Melt remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in microwave. Remove stuffing from oven; uncover and brush with the melted butter. Bake uncovered until top is golden and slightly crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Try this: Use a plant-based butter substitute and swap out the chicken bone broth for vegetable broth to make this a vegan side dish.