How to make
- 15 (about 175 g)Pearl onions, root ends trimmed
- 1 (about 2.2 lb/1 kg)Boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed and tied at 1-inch (2.5 cm) intervals
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)PC®100% Pure First-Pressed Canola Oil
- 1PC®Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 2Cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2Bay leaves
- 2Sprigs fresh thyme
- 1Small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Dry vermouth
- 2 cups (500 mL)Homogenized milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)PC®Dijon Prepared Mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Finely chopped fresh parsley
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Add pearl onions; return to a boil. Cook 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer with slotted spoon to bowl of ice water to chill. Drain; peel off skins. Set pearl onions aside.
- Step 2Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in PC®5-Qt Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add pork; cook, turning often, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large plate. Set aside.
- Step 3Heat same Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pearl onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to small bowl. Set aside.
- Step 4Smash garlic with flat side of chef’s knife. Heat same Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme and sliced onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add vermouth; cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom, until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Step 5Return pork to Dutch oven. Add milk; bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake, flipping pork once, until instant-read thermometer inserted in centre of pork reads 160°F (71°C), 40 to 45 minutes.
- Step 6Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Transfer pork to cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Step 7Meanwhile, transfer milk mixture to blender; add mustard. Remove plastic stopper from blender lid; cover lid with kitchen towel. Purée until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; stir in pearl onions. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- Step 8Thinly slice pork; arrange on large serving platter. Spoon milk mixture over top. Sprinkle with parsley.