How to make
- 2 cups (500 mL)butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (167 mL)packed brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (167 mL)icing sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups (333 mL)coloured sprinkles, decorating sugar or crushed candy canes, divided (optional)
- 1 tub (1.5 L)PC® Candy Cane Chocolate Fudge CrackleTM Ice Cream
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Beat together butter, brown sugar and icing sugar in large bowl using electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. (Alternatively, stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until light and fluffy.)
- Step 2Stir in flour just until combined. Stir in 1/3 cup (83 mL) sprinkles, decorating sugar or candy canes (if using). Bring dough together with hands to make ball. (Dough may be crumbly; if necessary, knead gently on floured work surface to bring together. Do not overwork.) Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Step 3While dough is chilling, let ice cream stand at room temperature until soft enough to scoop, 10 to 15 minutes. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Using ice cream scoop, spoon or measuring cup, scoop 12 scoops of ice cream (about 1/3 cup/83 mL per scoop) onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze until needed.
- Step 4Line 2 separate baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Roll out dough on floured work surface to about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness (press edges of dough together to adhere if they begin to crack). Using floured 2 1/2- or 3-inch (6 – 8 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Arrange, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on prepared baking sheets. Reroll scraps and repeat with remaining dough.
- Step 5Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Step 6Place remaining 1 cup (250 mL) sprinkles, decorating sugar or candy canes in bowl. Remove ice cream from freezer; sandwich 1 scoop of ice cream between 2 cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Roll edges of ice cream in sprinkles, decorating sugar or candy canes. Transfer ice cream sandwich to large resealable container or separate parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place in freezer. Repeat with remaining ice cream, cookies and the sprinkles, decorating sugar or candy canes to make 12 ice cream sandwiches total (you will have some cookies leftover). Freeze until firm before serving, about 1 hour. Store in freezer in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Tip: You’ll make more cookies than needed for 12 ice cream sandwiches. Store the extra cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.