How to make
- 1frozen PC® Gluten-Free Pie Crust (half 380-g pkg)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (83 mL)granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL)almond extract
- 3large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL)ground almonds or almond flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)PC® Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- Pinch (0.5 mL)salt
- 5canned pear halves in syrup, drained
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven. Remove pie crust from all packaging and place on baking sheet. Thaw at room temperature 15 minutes. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake in bottom third of oven until puffed and light golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Step 2Beat together butter, sugar, and almond extract in large bowl using electric hand mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until smooth. Beat in ground almonds, flour blend, and salt on low speed until smooth. Scrape into cooled pie crust.
- Step 3Pat pears dry with paper towel. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices; keeping slices close together, fan out slightly. Slide spatula under 1 fanned-out sliced pear; arrange in horizontal line from centre to right edge of pie, with smaller end of pear (the top of the pear) starting in centre (keep slices fanned out but close together). Rotate pie and repeat with remaining 4 pear halves to make star pattern.
- Step 4Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) in bottom third of oven until golden and toothpick inserted in centre of filling comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool on rack until warm, or let cool completely. Sprinkle with thyme sprigs (if using). Slice into wedges.
- Try this: Not following a gluten-free diet? Swap out the gluten-free pie crust for a standard frozen 9-inch (23 cm) pie crust and use all-purpose flour in place of the gluten-free flour blend.