How to make
- 1 cup (250 mL)Hazelnuts, divided
- 2 1/2 cupsall-purpose flour
- 2 tspbaking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL)salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)granulated sugar
- 4large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)PC® West Coast Dark Roast Coffee , brewed and cooled
- Coffee Syrup
- 1 cup (250 mL)PC® West Coast Dark Roast Coffee, brewed and cooled
- 1 cup (250 mL)granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (250g)cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL)icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (250 mL)heavy whipping cream (35%), chilled
How to make
- Step 1Brew PC® Dark Roast Fine Ground Coffee to use throughout recipe. To brew 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) strong coffee, use 8 tbsp (125 mL) coffee and 2 cups (500 mL) of water. Cool completely before using.
- Step 2Cake: Preheat oven to 350⁰F (180⁰C). Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch (3 L) metal baking pan and line with parchment. Roast hazelnuts on baking sheet until golden and fragrant, 10 minutes. Rub hazelnuts between two clean dish towels to remove skins. Finely chop skinned hazelnuts (or pulse in a food processor until fine) and set aside.
- Step 3Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Step 4Beat butter and sugar in separate large bowl using electric hand mixer (or in stand mixer using paddle attachment) on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Step 5Gently fold in half the flour mixture until mostly absorbed. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) coffee until just combined; fold in remaining flour and 3/4 cup (188 mL) chopped hazelnuts, being careful not to overmix. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Step 6Bake until lightly golden and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Step 7Coffee Syrup: Meanwhile, make the coffee syrup. Heat coffee and sugar in small pot over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Using fork, poke holes all over cake and pour coffee syrup over cake. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting, about 2 hours.
- Step 8Frosting: Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in large bowl using electric hand mixer (or in stand mixer using whisk attachment) on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed to medium-low and slowly add cream in a thin stream, stopping occasionally to scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Once cream is added, beat on high until frosting holds stiff peaks. Spread frosting over cooled cake and sprinkle with remaining chopped hazelnuts. Cut into 24 pieces.
- Try this: For an adult crowd, stir 2 tbsp (30 mL) of coffee liqueur into the coffee syrup in Step 5 before soaking the cake.