How to make
- 1 lb (500 g)Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL)Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL)Salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)Olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g)PC®Andouille Pork Sausages
- 3 cups (750 mL)Diced sweet red pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL)Diced onions
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL)Diced celery
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Creole seasoning
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Diced Tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 mL)PC®Blue Menu®Chicken Broth
- 1 pouch (250 g)PC®Blue Menu®Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)Chopped Italian parsley
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Step 2Sprinkle chicken with pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt. In large ovenproof frying pan, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sausage to pan; cook for 8 minutes, turning once, or until browned. Transfer pan to centre of oven; bake for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3In large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil over medium-high heat; cook pepper, onion and celery for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and Creole seasoning; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender and slightly coloured. Stir in tomatoes and juices and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Remove chicken and sausage from frying pan; stir drippings from frying pan into vegetable mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 4Meanwhile, quarter chicken thighs and slice sausages 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick; set aside. Gently squeeze pouch all over to break the rice apart. Tear top corners of pouch about 1/2 inch (1 cm). Place pouch upright in microwave and heat on HIGH for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Let stand in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Caution: Pouch will be hot. Carefully remove from microwave holding sides.
- Step 5Stir chicken, sausage, rice and remaining 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt into vegetable mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.