How to make
- 1 tbspvegetable oil
- 2 pkgsPC® World of Flavours French Style Braising Beef Short Ribs
- 2medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3-4stalks celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4-5medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tbspfinely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsprosemary leaves
- 1 tbsptomato paste
- 2 tbspred wine (or sherry) vinegar
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 pkgPC® Creamy Golden Potatoes
How to make
- Step 1Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat oil in 6-quart (5.7 L) Dutch oven over medium. Sear ribs, working in two batches, turning until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to plate.
- Step 2Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary to pot. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and vinegar and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 3Pour in broth, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Arrange ribs bone-side up in pot. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes on top of ribs and broth. Cover tightly with lid or foil, transfer to oven and cook until ribs are very tender and easily pull away from the bone, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Step 4Remove potatoes, ribs and carrots from the pot and cover to keep warm. To finish sauce, pour braising liquid through fine-mesh strainer, pressing on solids; discard solids. Return strained liquid to pot. Skim fat and simmer over medium-high until reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 5Return ribs to sauce and reheat over low. Serve with potatoes and carrots.
- Try this: For deeper flavour, add 1/2 cup of your favourite red wine in step 2 along with the vinegar and tomato paste, then cook until wine is reduced by half before proceeding to step three.